Tuesday 1 March 2011

Calgary Trip

So I tagged along with my wife to Calgary for a few nights last week.  She had some training...I had some time off!

I went for lunch at the 8th Ave Original Joe's with a friend of mine from the city - the burger I had was easily the worst I've received from any Original Joe's location, but the service was probably the best.  Lloydminster's location is not known for its service, that's for sure, so it was something I wasn't expecting.

I had a couple of pints, since I wasn't driving.  Wild Rose's Brown Ale is always great, with its coffee tones and easy finish.  Never overpowering, just a friendly hello of hops and body.

Of course, I had an old stand-by of mine, Brewmaster's Black Lager from Okanagan Springs.  Coffee, chocolate and toffee have a party in my mouth, but it never gets out of hand.  This has been one of my favorite beers for a few years now.

Since we were staying downtown, and because I was hoofing it, I caught the C-train to the Cineplex at the Chinook mall the first day.  I watched 'The Eagle', adapted from the book about a Roman centurion determined to regain his family's honor, lost when the legion's beloved battle standard fell 20 years earlier in northern Britain.  It wasn't spectacular, by any means, but I've seen far worse movies at the theatre.

Meeting up with my wife in the evening, we went for dinner with some more friends.  I reminded myself of how sweet, crisp and cloying Granville Island's Cypress Honey Lager is - I powered through it, then gratefully moved on to Granville Island's English Bay Pale Ale.  Its mild caramel notes were a godsend, and I enjoyed every drop of it.  By this time, my friend had a pint of Guinness in front of him, and its creamy head, dark mysteries and memories of roasted malts were calling my name.  Fantastic stuff, always.

The second day, I saw 'I Am Number Four' on the IMAX screen, again at Chinook.  I didn't know it had the head cheerleader from Glee in it - not that it made a difference, really.  Another book adaptation, from another book I hadn't read, I left the theatre looking forward to the sequel.  I found the movie a good lead-in to a interesting story arc.

I grabbed a late afternoon snack of bread pudding and a pint of Harp, followed by a flight of Guinness, Kilkenny, Harp and Smithwick's at the James Joyce pub downtown.  A great pub, quite busy at lunch and weekday evenings.

We went for supper with a friend from my hometown that was also in the city for the week.  Dinner at the Saltlik has never disappointed me, because they make some great steaks.  Y'know, I'm shocked, but I can't recall which beer I had.  A pale ale, copper color, minimal head, a tad watery, I know, but beyond that...I can't think of the brewery.  I apologize, this has never happened before...

I went to another movie after supper, with my friend.  Again, at the Chinook!  I don't have anything against the other theatres in Calgary, per se, but so far as access from downtown when I don't have wheels, Chinook's good by me.

We watched 'Unknown', and truly, this movie was unknown to me apart from the poster at the theatre.  Which worked out great, because I wonder what hints the trailer would give, thereby wrecking the movie.  Alright, so it was somewhat predictable, but still lots of action to offset the plot.

Our last day in the city found my ass parked at the James Joyce pub again, minutes after its doors opened.  Being the first customer in there, I saddled up to the bar (again), had some shepherd's pie, a pint of Guinness, some more bread pudding and a pint of Kilkenny.  Because I was there at opening, I was actually able to read a book for a bit, before the lunch crowd sauntered in and packed the place.

Reading...my reading selections are as vast and varied as my likes in beer.  This week in Calgary, though, I wasn't able to read much due to recent laser eye surgery.  But as that straightens out, I'll be sure to get back to reading a ton, so expect some words on what books I'm buried in.

No comments:

Post a Comment