Sunday 6 March 2011

Getting Your Ass Kicked by a Beer

Anytime you set out to try some different beers, it's inevitable.  You will find a brew that smacks you upside the head as if to say, "Fool, whatcha thinking trying me?"  Last night, I squared up against two of them.

I've known for some time now to be careful around the imperial stouts and barleywines.  However, I received a couple in a hand-picked 12 pack I received as a birthday present a while back.  And considering the brewer's locations, I was certainly interested in trying them.

Luckily, we had some company for dinner last night, and I had help in tasting these beers and a few others.  Breaking out the paddles, I poured each of us four samples.

Paddock Wood Brewing, from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, has a Czech Mate Pilsner which pours a clean, golden straw; it's crisp with just a little tart aftertaste, I found.  Definitely one to get for a summer BBQ.

Hoegaarden, the classic Belgian White, has great silty color and a nice head.  It has a great balance between citrus and spice.

Half Pints, out of Winnipeg, Manitoba, makes Burlywine.  With 10.5% ABV (alcohol by volume) and 75 on the IBU (international bitterness unit scale), this isn't your fishing trip beer.  While the bitter hops are somewhat tempered by the malts, this extra strong ale still packs a solid punch backed up by in-your-face raisins.

Ölvisholt Brugghús, a brewery in Iceland, is responsible for Lava, a Smoked Imperial Stout.  9.4% ABV combined with an intense coffee and licorice flavor prompted me to nurse my little 3 oz sample I had poured.  I actually had this with a serving of my wife's homemade chocolate souffle, with some vanilla ice cream.  The beer went great with the chocolate cake and ice cream, but it was very potent, and not something I would have often.

Overall, though I may not have acquired a taste for the barleywines and imperial stouts just yet, I have not completely given up hope; I'll continue to occasionally wet my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment