Saturday 12 March 2011

Fun (?) times ahead.

I'm off to Edmonton tomorrow night.  Officially, the purpose of my trip is a 4-day training course in preparation for a government exam the following week.  Turbines, pumps, nozzle calculations, drafting and some other thoroughly enjoyable stuff.  I'm both nervous and excited for the exam.  I want to crush it.  I wish to never look at this material again.

Unofficially, I know I'll be seeing a movie or two during the course of my trip.  I'm planning on catching Battle: Los Angeles with my brother at the North Edmonton Cineplex in the AVX theater.  I have yet to experience the new evolution in movie-going, as it's claimed.  Asking my brother his thoughts on it, he said he would only see the occasional flick on the AVX, due to the cost.

My wife picked up some sushi last night, which is something she got me hooked on a handful of years ago.  There's still a lot of things on the menu that I ignore - I gave several varieties of squid and eel a try, but they've burned their bridges with me.  Anyways, last night was some simple california rolls, nothing adventurous.  More to that effect, I detest wasabi.  Always have, always will.  I'm usually pretty cautious about ensuring any roll I eat hasn't touched the wasabi that inevitably winds up on the plate.  Last night, not so much.  I pick up the last piece, and bam!  That shit's in my mouth, nearly ruining my entire dinner experience.  Of course, I'm eating this sushi at home, at the computer...so I think, my beer fridge again holds my salvation!

Let me tell you about the effect of wasabi on my usual Okanagan Springs Brewmaster's Black Lager.  It's not a good mix!  Damn me if I didn't wreck half a bottle of the dark glory before the beer finally tasted right.

At some point next week, I'll be stopping at the Sherbrooke Liquor store in Edmonton and laying down some coin.  I figure a couple of six-packs of my favorites, and a dozen or so singles to try after my exam...oh yeah!  Give me a couple of weeks, and I'll let you know how everything went.

No comments:

Post a Comment